The NHS Improvement patient safety team is leading a programme around the safe spoken communication of critical information between clinical staff, and with patients, families and carers.
To support this work, we are hosting two half day workshops. We aim to give healthcare staff the opportunity to share their experiences and to join the discussion on why spoken communication between two people does not always result in an appropriate response, and the risk that this can pose to the safety of patients.
Interactive sessions will consider:
- the characteristics of effective communication between two people
- why critical communication can be inadequate and impact on patient safety
- the role of structured communication tools.
- increased awareness of how inadequate communication can impact on patient safety
- understanding of how this work aims to improve patient safety
- increased awareness of cultural factors that impact on spoken communication.
The workshop will be delivered by experts in patient safety, including:
- Trish Greenhalgh: Professor of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford
- Joan Russell Head of Patient Safety, Policy and Partnerships, NHS Improvement
- Professor Rick Ledema, Director, Centre for Team Based Practice & Learning in Health Care, Kings College London
- Lorna Wilkinson, Director of Nursing, Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
- Professor Rebecca Lawton, Head of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Patient Safety Translational Research Centre, Yorkshire and Humber.
Who should attend:
- clinicians working in acute sector, primary care and the ambulance service
- Representatives from patient facing organisations.
The event will take place on Thursday 19 April 2018 in Leeds: The Studio, Riverside West, Leeds, LS1 4AW. Registration will open at 12:15, with the day starting at 12.30 and finishing by 17.00.
More information about the workshop and registration can be found here.
Places are limited so please book by Thursday 5 April for Leeds.
Your place on the workshop will be confirmed by Thursday 12 April 2018 for Leeds. The workshop will include a buffet lunch and refreshments.
If you have an queries regarding the workshops please email: email@example.com
Do you have questions about Workshop: improving safety through better spoken communication between NHS staff? Contact NHS Improvement