At the start of November 2016, NHS England set out plans to fast-track the introduction of six new types of medical technology products and apps during 2017/18 through the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT). The ITT removes the need for multiple local price negotiations and guarantees automatic reimbursement.
The innovation categories are:
- Guided mediolateral episiotomy to minimise the risk of obstetric anal sphincter injury
- Arterial connecting systems to reduce bacterial contamination and the accidental administration of medication
- Pneumonia prevention systems which are designed to stop ventilator-associated pneumonia
- Web based applications for the self-management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Frozen Faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection rates
- Management of Benign prostatic hyperplasia as a day case (purchased through National Tariff)
- Separately from the tariff, NHS England is centrally funding the purchase of mobile ECG technology, which will be managed through the AHSN Network.
The ITT will go live on 1 April 2017 and NHS England is keen to encourage the adoption and spread of these technologies.
Join NHS England’s webinars to find out more
NHS England wishes to share the zero cost – procurement and reimbursement model, and will run a number of one-hour WebEx Events hosted by Robert Chesters from NHS England’s Innovation and Research Unit.
The webinars will include discussions on:
- The programme themes
- The guidance document
- The role of the CSU
- Procurement and supplier flows
- Reimbursement and reporting flows
- Payment of suppliers
These sessions will provide an opportunity to understand the uniqueness of this tariff model, which will offer a streamlined route to reimbursement without the need for multiple price negotiations and will cut the difficulties quite often experienced in the uptake and spread of innovation.
In addition to the webinars held in March, NHS England have scheduled more webinars throughout May. The times and dates of WebEx sessions are listed below alongside links to sign up to the webinars
2nd May – 1100-1200 join the meeting
4th May- 1200-1300 join the meeting
9th May-1100-1200 join the meeting
17th May- 1030-1130 join the meeting
24th May- 0930-1030 join the meeting