A comprehensive ‘place-based’ education programme designed to improve the health outcomes of public sector staff in the region and support NHS England to deliver its national staff health and wellbeing programme.
Our Workplace Wellness programme, delivered in partnership with Sheffield Hallam University, offers individualised health checks, lifestyle management advice, one-to-one coaching and educational workshops to raise awareness on topics including exercise, healthy eating, mental wellbeing and resilience. An evidence-based client centred motivational interviewing based approach is used to facilitate and support lifestyle related behaviour change.
Within the Five Year Forward View, NHS England prioritises the development and support of new workplace incentives that promote employee health and well-being and contribute to reducing inequalities in health.
How are we helping?
The Workplace Wellness programme was initially offered to our members with a focus on improving their health outcomes and reducing sickness and absence levels amongst NHS staff. NHS Trusts that prioritise staff health and wellbeing have been found to perform better, with improved patient satisfaction, stronger quality scores, better outcomes, higher levels of staff retention and lower levels of sickness absence. The programme has recently been adopted by a number of private and public sector organisations.
The learning outcomes of the Health and Wellbeing programme to date will be published through a variety of education and training materials.
- The learning will then be applied in practice across an entire local authority using public sector staff from across Wakefield District (NHS, Council, Police and Fire services) to improve their health outcomes and reduce sickness and absence levels.
- The programme will initially deliver 1,000 Wellness assessments to staff across from the public sector workforce in Wakefield.
- A robust independent evaluation will be completed to measure the impact of the intervention and inform future roll-out.
Our Impact to date
This programme has already been successfully delivered in a range of NHS, private and public sector organisations across Yorkshire and the Humber.
A demonstrable return on investment for participating organisations (an independent evaluation by the York Health Economics Consortium identified return on investment (ROI) of more than 3:1 in interventions undertaken to date).
Evaluation materials including a short film and publication have been developed to share learning with partners regionally and nationally.
We showcased our Workplace Wellness programme on the national NHS stand at Expo in September 2016, delegates were able to book a mini-health check and find out more about the programme.
- Please click here to view a short film on our workplace wellness programme
- Please click here to view the Workplace Wellness brochure
- Share lessons learned and insights on programme delivery, adoption and spread with AHSN partners regionally and nationally.